|The mission of the Office of Explosives and Blasting (OEB) is to administer and enforce the surface mine blasting laws in a manner that protects the public and their property from harmful effects of surface mine blasting.
During the regular 1999 session, the 73rd Legislature created the Office of Explosives and Blasting within the Department of Environmental Protection to enforce surface coal mine blasting laws. Those responsibilities include:
- Train, examine and certify all surface coal mining blasters.
- Administer a claims and arbitration process for persons seeking relief from blasting damage.
- Conduct research to develop scientific data on the effects of blasting.
- Review all coal mine blast plans.
- Inspect surface coal mine blasting operations, investigate blast complaints and claims of damage complaints.
- Administer a pre-blast survey process and training of pre-blast surveyors.