Construction Stormwater General Permits

Construction Stormwater General Permit
    Stormwater runoff from construction activities can have a significant impact on water quality. As stormwater flows over a construction site, it picks up pollutants like sediment, debris and chemicals. Polluted stormwater runoff can harm or kill fish and other wildlife. Sedimentation can destroy aquatic habitat and high volumes of runoff can cause stream bank erosion.
    The WV NPDES Stormwater Program requires operators of construction sites that disturb one (1) acre or greater, including smaller sites that are part of a larger common plan of development, to obtain authorization to discharge stormwater under an NPDES Construction Stormwater General Permit.
Who Needs Permit Coverage?
If you are going to disturb one acre or greater you are required to first obtain a stormwater construction permit. The application and instructions for this activity are linked below.
About the Permit
    The WV DEP has developed and issued a General WV/NPDES Water Pollution Control Permit to regulate sediment laden stormwater flowing into the waters of the State from discharges associated with construction activities. The General Permit was issued on December 5, 2012, became effective on January 5, 2013.  This permit will expire on January 3, 2018, at which time, the DEP will reissue the permit. 
    Any person proposing a construction activity, three (3) acres or greater of land disturbance in size, shall submit a Site Registration Application Form 60 days prior to commencing the operation. 
    For projects that will disturb one (1) acre and less than three (3) acres, the responsible party must submit a Notice of Intent (NOI) at least 15 days prior to starting earth disturbing activities. 
    When the construction activity is owned by one person but operated by another, it is the responsibility of the owner (developer) to obtain the permit. 
    When the construction activity is completed and all disturbed areas are stabilized, the responsible party must submit a Notice of Termination (NOT) in order to end coverage under the General Permit.

CLICK HERE for Application Forms and Instructions

Oil & Gas Construction Stormwater General Permit

The State of West Virginia, Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Water and Waste Management has issued a State General Water Pollution Control Permit to regulate the discharge of stormwater runoff associated with oil and gas related construction activities. The General Permit authorizes discharges composed entirely of stormwater associated with oil and gas field activities or operations associated with exploration, production, processing or treatment operations or transmission facilities, disturbing one acre or greater of land area, to the waters of the State.

CLICK HERE for Application Forms and Instructions
A list of Tier 3 waters can be found HERE (large pdf).
For additional information regarding Antidegradation rules please see the Water Quality Standards page.


Application Status
To check the status of your application/registration please use our online search
Water Resources Pending Application Search
Permit Status
To check the status of an issued permit use our online search
Water Resources Permit Search

Notice of Termination Status

To check the status of a Notice of Termination, contact the local office of Environmental Enforcement.  You may find teh local office by clicking on the DEP Offices link below, then going to the Environmental Enforcement website.

For more information about the Construction Stormwater Program, you may contact the individuals listed below.

Program Manager
Jon Michael Bosley, Stormwater Permitting Supervisor
304-926-0499, ext. 1059

CSW GP Plan Reviewers

Rick Adams, Technical Analyst Associate
304-926-0499 ext. 1354

Larry Board, Environmental Resources Specialist
(WV DOH Projects)
304-926-0499, ext. 1595

Dale Biller, Environmental Resources Specialist
304-926-0499 ext. 1099

Joe Cochran, Environmental Resources Specialist
(Oil & Gas Contruction GP)
304-926-0499, ext. 1069

CSW NOI Reviewer
vacant- contact Program Manager
Support Staff
Sharon Mullins, Office Assistant
304-926-0499, ext. 1132



Privacy, Security and Accessibility | | | © 2017 State of West Virginia